TN Visas for NAFTA Workers

Abogados de Inmigracion en Oxnard


US Immigration Lawyers

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), a special economic and trade relationship was created between the United States, Mexico, and Canada. This agreement also created a unique non-immigrant classification (TN) that allows citizens of Mexico and Canada to temporarily enter the U.S. for work in designated occupations and activities approved by NAFTA. The work must be professional in nature and meet the requirements for those occupations. TN visa holders do not benefit from dual intent, so it is important to consult an attorney if you are interested in applying for a Green Card while on this visa. Examples of TN visa holders include:
  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Economists
  • Engineers
  • Doctors
  • Professors/educators
  • Management consultants
  • Urban planners, geographers
TN visa holders can stay in the U.S. for up to three years and can extend their visas indefinitely in three-year increments as long as they continue to maintain their eligibility.

Qualifying for a TN Visa

To qualify for a TN NAFTA visa:
  • You must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico (permanent residents not eligible)
  • Your profession must be on the NAFTA list - see the full list here
  • You must work for an employer and provide proof of employment
  • You must meet the education and other job requirements of the occupation
SGM & ASSOCIATES ( abogados de inmigracion en Oxnard ) and our immigration legal group can provide assistance for professional workers and employers who are applying for TN visas and TD visas for their family members.