Abogados de Inmigracion en Oxnard
Family Immigration Lawyers
U.S. immigration law allows United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to sponsor certain relatives for temporary and permanent visas in the United States. The law separates the visa types for these relatives into two distinct groups. The first group is for "Immediate Relative" visas, and these visas are "unlimited." This means that there is no limit on the number of immigrants who can enter the U.S. on these visas each year.
Immediate relatives include the following individuals:
- The spouse of a U.S. citizen
- The parent of an adult U.S. citizen. An adult is defined as an individual who is 21 years of age or older
- The unmarried children of a U.S. citizen
- An orphan who was adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
- An orphan whose adoption by a U.S. citizen is pending
The second group of visas is the "Family Preference Immigrant" visa, and these visas are "limited" or "capped" at a certain number.
The family preference categories are as follows:
- Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if applicable
- Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and adult unmarried sons and daughters of legal permanent residents
- Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children
- Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children
NOTE: grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and in-laws cannot sponsor a relative for immigration.
There are limited visas available for each preference category for relatives from each foreign country. As a result, there is typically a backlog for Family Preference Immigrant visas and a long waiting period, which can be several years. Visas are issued according to date, so it is important to file an application as soon as possible to secure your place in line.
If your visa petition is denied, you will receive a denial letter that will include instructions on how to appeal the denial.
Our Family Visa Services
The immigration attorneys ( abogados de inmigracion en Oxnard ) at SGM & ASSOCIATES can provide guidance for U.S. citizens applying for a spouse visa, a U.S. citizen applying for unmarried children under 21 years of age, U.S. citizens seeking to adopt a child domestically or abroad, and U.S. citizens looking to secure a visa for a parent.