Abogados en Oxnard California
National Immigration Firm Based in Oxnard, California
Naturalization is the process in which a foreign national can gain U.S. citizenship. Naturalized U.S. citizens benefit from the same privileges as citizens by birth, including the right to register and vote, to serve on a jury, and to hold a U.S. passport.
To qualify for naturalization:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must have been a Permanent Resident for at least 5 years without leaving the country for longer than 6 months OR
- If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you must have lived in the U.S. for at least 3 years without leaving the country for trips longer than 6 months.
- You must demonstrate good moral character (having certain a criminal conviction of a serious crime may disqualify you)
The Naturalization Process
- Once you determine that you are eligible for naturalization, you will have to complete Form N-400 and attach two passport-style photos.
- You will need to be fingerprinted and be subjected to a criminal background investigation.
- The USCIS will then arrange an interview, where you will be asked to answer questions about your application and take an English and civic test. The test results will be provided on that same day or you may be asked to provide additional documentation.
- If your application is approved, you can proceed with the oath ceremony and will receive your Certificate of Naturalization.
- If your application is denied, you have a chance to appeal the decision by filing Form N-336 (Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings).
An immigration attorney from ( abogados en Oxnard California ) SGM & Associates can help you determine your qualifications and navigate the naturalization process with you. We offer full-scope representation, from application preparation to interview assistance.